Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Water For Elephants (2011)


Director: Francis Lawrence (1)
Cast: Reese Witherspoon (2), Robert Pattinson (3), and Christoph Waltz (4)
My favourite quote - "You're a beautiful woman, you deserve a beautiful life, nothing less."
Did you know? - The film was based on the novel of the same name written by Sara Gruen. She wrote the book as part of the National Novel Writing Month also known as NaNoWriMo.

Halfway through the film I found myself asking a friend of mine who’s already watched it ‘How long more does this take?’ Is the story bad? Nah. Is the pacing slow? It is at some points. What about the acting? All three leads are fantastic actors and whenever they are not playing off each other on screen they are fantastic. However, if they have any chemistry off screen, it didn’t really come off on screen. Also, I can’t help but think of Twilight’s Edward Cullen everytime Robert Pattinson appears. Christoph Waltz was fantastic in the film though. He was able to make me hate him for being so cruel, but also to have a sudden empathy for him for that brief moment when he was vulnerable.
I am fascinated by circus acts. I have a wish, a goal if you will, to travel the world and watch all the Cirque Du Soleil shows available at the time I can afford to do so. I call it my ‘Travel the world according to Cirque Du Soleil’ plan. Cirque Du Soleil's Saltimbanco recently came into town (Singapore) and needless to say I went to watch it. I find it amazing how they are able to do some of the fantastic stunts that they do. And for a living too! I think they are very special individuals. And that’s what I really take away from this film. That everyone, no matter how weird or different (physically or otherwise), is special and has something to offer to the world. 
Also, I think that people shouldn’t sell themselves short. If you don’t deserve the crap someone gives you, and you can do something about it, DO IT! Life is short, don’t waste time allowing yourself to be under the thumb of someone who doesn’t appreciate you or someone who doesn’t give a s**t how you feel. 
I also loved Rosie! The elephant featured in the film. My heart went out for the animals portrayed in the film. When I said I was fascinated by circus, my concept of the circus is the modern ones like Cirque Du Soleil not the ones featuring animals or “strange people” like those featured in the film The Vampire’s Assistant. So the parts where the animals were being ill-treated made me cringe so bad. Even if one were not an animal person, how can one be so cruel to an innocent being who in no way has harmed them? Do unto others what you want others to do unto you. I think people should remember this when treating other human beings (eg, nannies, domestic helpers, customer service staff) and even animals. How would you feel if someone took a stab at you with a poker just cos you didn’t want to do what they wanted you to do?
The film though a little slow moving, had a good story to share with the audience, and I loved all that it was trying to say and connected with the film on so many different levels. For once, the main thing I took away from the film wasn’t through the love story. Which I think was because I did not connect with the on screen couple Jacob and Marlena played by Robert Pattinson and Resse Witherspoon. Though, I love the set design, costumes, cinematography and theme of the film. So I really can overlook that little hiccup in the chemistry department.

(1) Francis Lawrence has directed films like Constantine (2005) and I Am Legend (2007). He has also directed countless MTVs some of them include Cry Me A River by Justin Timberlake ft Timbaland, Buttons by The Pussycat Dolls ft Snoop Dogg, Circus by Britney Spears, Bad Romance by Lady Gaga, and BeyoncĂ©’s Run The World (Girls).
(2) Resse Witherspoon has acted in films like Cruel Intentions (1999), Legally Blonde (2001), Sweet Home Alabama (2002), Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde (2003), Vanity Fair (2004), Walk the Line (2005), Just Like Heaven (2005), Penelope (2006), and This Means War (2012)
(3) Robert Pattinson has acted in films like Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005), Twilight (2008), Little Ashes (2009), The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009), Remember Me (2010), The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (2010), The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (2011), The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 (2012), and Bel Ami (2012)
(4) Christoph Waltz has acted in films like Inglourious Basterds (2009), The Green Hornet (2011), and The Three Musketeers (2011)

The Eclectic Reviewer thinks… Water For Elephants will remind you to fight for what you believe in and that both humans and animals deserve to be treated with respect.  (2.6 of 5)

* Movie Poster from Wikipedia

Click here to follow Entitled to Opinion on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment