Monday, July 9, 2012

Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights (2004)


Director: Guy Ferland
Cast: Romola Garai (1), Diego Luna (2), Sela Ward (3), Jonathan Jackson (4), Patrick Swayze
My favourite quote - "Dancing is about being exactly who you want to be in that moment."

Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights is a sexy film. Set in Cuba, the film has no connection to the original 1987 film besides the similar plot, a supporting role played by original cast member Patrick Swayze, and the sharing of its name.
The film didn’t get very good reviews. However, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the choreography of the dancing and the chemistry between the two leads. 


To be honest, throughout the film the two leads mostly seem incompatible with each other and their interaction occasionally awkward and out of sync. However, the awkwardness and differences serves the purpose and story of the film well - they are after all two very different individuals from very different cultures and social class. But when they dance together, its magic. You forget all the reasons you thought they did not match well together. The music and all the sexy dancing also makes you wanna get off off your seat and move along with them. 
Ultimately, I loved the film because it was about passion. Even the underlying sub-plot regarding the revolution was about passion. Believing in something so strongly that you would give up everything, even your life, just to follow your heart. I wish I were that dedicated. Four times in my life, I set a goal for myself and followed through with it all the way. And all four times I got what I aimed for. But out of my nearly 30 years on earth, four times really isn’t much is it? 
Do you have a goal in life right now? How passionate are you about it? How far would you go to achieve that goal? Do you have an opinion about the society around you today? There’s a difference between having opinion and doing something about what you strongly believe in. Many people are morally sound and have strong opinions about various issues. However, how many actually act on their beliefs and passions?
My passion? To be an archer that represents her country at the Olympic level. 
What am I doing about it? I am going to the gym to build stamina and starting to train again to regain or fix my form.
My other passion? To write a film or television drama series and have it produced. 
What am I doing about it? I am working as a writer. Though I am writing vastly different types of scripts, but I am happy to be writing nonetheless.
What are you passionate about? And what are you doing about it? Figure out what you’re passionate about, what you most what to do, and do it. Life is too short to hesitate or think too much. Today will never be today again, so treasure the time you have right now and let every moment be a step in the right direction. 

(1) Romola Garai’s acted in films like Vanity Fair (2004), Atonement (2007), and One Day (2011)
(2) Diego Luna’s acted in films like Y tu mamá también (2001), Frida (2002), and The Terminal (2004)
(3) Sela Ward’s acted in films like 54 (1998), Runaway Bride (1999), The Day After Tomorrow (2004), and The Guardian (2006). Currently, she has a lead role in the TV series CSI:NY (2010-present). 
(4) Jonathan Jackson’s acted in the film Tuck Everlasting (2002)

The Eclectic Reviewer thinks… Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights is a must see if you like movies about dance and passion. (3 of 5)

* Movie Poster from Wikipedia

Click here to follow Entitled to Opinion on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment