Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Flashpoint: Episode 1x03 - The Element Of Surprise (2008)


Created by: Mark Ellis & Stephanie Morgenstern

Network: CTV
 Cast: Enrico Colantoni (1), Hugh Dillon (2), Amy Jo Johnson (3), Sergio Di Zio (4), David Paetkau (5), Michael Cram, Mark Taylor, and Erick Knudsen (6)

Read about 'First In Line', the second episode of Flashpoint.


Episode 3 - The Element Of Surprise

Second chances. This is what this episode is all about. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty. When a routine drug bust goes south, an innocent bystander gets killed. The bystander was only 21 years old, and he was trying very hard to turn over a new leaf. And even though he could have walked away, he chose to stay and help the undercover cop who was shot. 

With regards to getting to know the team better, we find out more about Sam, his time in Afghanistan, and learn about the baggage he carries. We also find out more about the rules of the job, how the rules affect the team members, the prestige of being on the SRU, and what it means for the only female team member in entire SRU. We also learn the importance of team work and trust between the team members of the SRU. 

While this is not the best episode, it still has a powerful message about second chances and the importance of the choices we make every day. But, we also find out that serving warrants and making arrests are part of their job as well. On top of getting a hot call.


I love their flirtatious banter. 
Jules: Ready Sam?
Sam: I've cleared bad guys before.
Jules: It's serving a warrant for the search of the gentlemen's premises for the highly corroborated presence of narcotics.   
Sam: Speed, surprise, and aggressive action. Hey, so what about tonight?
Jules: Not gonna happen.
Sam: It's gonna be a long day, you're gonna get hungry. Dinner's a very important meal.
Jules: Sam. 
Sam: A burrito and a couple of beers. What's the big deal?
Jules: Alright, you know I'm not trying to flatter myself. I know you're just being nice. I don't want to read into this. I've just worked way too hard to be here to screw it up by getting personal. It's not worth it. There's like 500 cops waiting to get into the SRU. 500 guys waiting for me to do something that I shouldn't. So I'm sorry, but the team comes first.
Sam: Jules, it was just a burrito. See you at practice.





Sam: How else was it gonna end?
Ed: I don't know. I don't know but that is not your call. And maybe I was wrong, Sam, maybe, but I need to know that my team is on my side.
Sam: Well then treat me like I'm on your team.
Ed: What?
Sam: You want to know what happened in Afghanistan? Is that what this is about? I was taking out targets in a stronghold 1500 meters away. The recce was done I was cleared to fire. When we went down and do the IDs, one of them was my buddy Matt. I was sniping with a 50 cal. He shouldn't have been there. I was cleared to fire. You just had to ask.
Ed: You go in on my command. You keep entry formation and you don't go in without a shield. Are we clear?
Sam: Yes Sir.


Finally, we see a different side of Sam Braddock.

My favourite quote - "I've just worked way too hard to be here to screw it up by getting personal. It's not worth it. There's like 500 cops waiting to get into the SRU. 500 guys waiting for me to do something that I shouldn't. So I'm sorry, but the team comes first."

Read about 'Asking For Flowers', the fourth episode of Flashpoint.


(1) Enrico Colantoni has acted in films like Stigmata (1999), Galaxy Quest (1999), and Contagion (2011). He has also played Veronica Mars' father Keith Mars in the television series Veronica Mars (2004-2007), and he has also guest starred in television series like Law & Order, NYPD Blue, 3rd Rock From The Sun, Monk, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Numb3rs, Brothers & Sisters, Bones, and Person Of Interest.

(2) Hugh Dillon has acted in films like Lone Hero (2002), and Assault On Precinct 13 (2005).

(3) Amy Jo Johnson has acted in films like Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (1995), and Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie (1997). She played the role of Pink Power Ranger Kimberly Hart in the television series Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (1993-1995), and as Julie Emrick in the series Felicity (1998-2002). She also guest starred in television series like ER and Spin City.

(4) Sergio Di Zio has acted in films like National Lampoon's Senior Trip (1995), and Just Buried (2007). 


(5) David Paetkau has acted in films like Final Destination 2 (2003), I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer (2006), Goon (2011), and Man Of Steel (2013). He has goest starred in television series like Smallville, Stargate SG-1, CSI: Miami, Supernatural, and Dexter.


(6) Erik Knudsen has acted in films like Saw II (2005), Saw V (2008), Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (2010), Beastly (2011), and Scream 4 (2011).


Poster from the website TVpedia with screen grabs from the show.

Click here to follow Entitled to Opinion on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment