Sunday, October 28, 2012

Leap Year (2010)


Directed by Anand Tucker (1)
Cast: Amy Adams (2), and Matthew Goode (3)
My favourite quotes – When my 60 seconds came around I realised I had everything I ever wanted... but nothing I really needed. And I think what I need is here. And I came all this way to see if you maybe think so too. If you do, well... I don't really have plans past that, which is new for me. So, Declan O'Callhan and I should probably learn your middle name, here is my proposal; I propose we not make plans, I propose we give this thing a chance and let it work out how it works out. So, what do you say, do you wanna not make plans with me?” & “Why don't you stop trying to control everything in the known universe. It's dinner. Have a little faith that it will all work out.”

I watched this film on the 29th of February but considering it didn’t get it published until today, it’s obvious I have been sitting on it for quite a while. Anyway, I can now say that I have proposed to a man on Leap Day, and on said man’s birthday no less. Was it a joke? Not really, I just wanted to wish a friend happy birthday and wanted to make it fun and different so this is what I texted him: “Hey hey! Happy Birthday! Oh, by the way, it being a leap year, and today being the day in question… Will you marry me?” First things first, before I go further, I have to declare that I am not making light of the tradition with the proposal made to my friend. It really was purely because I wanted to make it an interesting happy birthday message.
As for the result of that proposal – Well, let’s just say that I am still single and definitely not engaged. Although, my proposal is probably the worst one ever, considering the fact that I proposed via a whatsapp message and I didn’t even have a (diamond) ring! No wonder he didn’t say yes! 
As stated in the film, according to Irish tradition, a man who receives a marriage proposal on a leap day (29 February) must accept it. However, I wonder how many men have actually accepted a marriage proposal on a leap day. Does Ireland keep track of the numbers? I am honestly curious about this as it is a very interesting tradition. I read an article (click here for the article) which said that in Europe, men who refuse a proposal must buy the jilted woman 12 pairs of gloves and in Greece it is actually unlucky to marry on Leap Day. (PS: Dear George, instead of 12 pairs of gloves, please contact me to discuss other forms of compensation for the humiliation of being “jilted” =P Oh and interestingly, I think you look a little like Matthew Goode!)
Anyway, I digress. But it is probably because the film didn’t really charm me too much. Personally, I think Amy Adams did an excellent job playing the lead female character Anna Brady. And Matthew Goode did a decent job as the surly Irish innkeepr Declan O’Callaghan. And it’s not that I dislike the film, I just don’t like it enough to watch it more than once or twice. 
However, one of the things I really like about the film was the moment when Amy Adams’ Anna pulled the fire alarm to see what items her fiancĂ© would grab from their apartment. It made me ask myself, what items will I grab with me from my house if it were burning to the ground? The other question would be, who would I save first if my house was on fire? What is really important in our lives? What would I save first in a situation like that?
“I had everything I ever wanted, but nothing I really needed”
There are many things we think we need, but we actually don’t. The bare necessities? Air, water, food, and clothes I guess. Maybe a house? Well at least a roof over your head. Money? Well you need money to buy the basics isn’t it? I really should ask myself this question the next time I mull over a purchase, is it something I really need?
The other thing I really like about the film is because it made me think about marriage and how important it is who you marry. Because when I get married, I want it to be for the right reasons and with someone who marries me for the right reasons. What you might ask are the right reasons. Well, get married because you love the person. Get married because you are in it for the long haul. Get married because you are willing to accept the person for who he or she is, warts and all. Get married if marriage is something both of you are willing to work hard at to sustain. Cos marriage isn’t as easy as some films make them out to be. 

(1) Anand Tucker has also directed the film Shopgirl (2005)
(2) Amy Adams has acted in films like Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999), Catch Me If You Can (2002), The Wedding Date (2005), Enchanted (2007), Sunshine Cleaning (2009), Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (2009), Julie & Julia (2009), The Fighter (2010), The Muppets (2011), and plays Lois Lane in the upcoming film Man Of Steel (2013)
(3) Matthew Goode has acted in films like Chasing Liberty (2004), Match Point (2005), Imagine Me & You (2006), and Watchmen (2009)

The Eclectic Reviewer thinks… Leap Year is a film to bring out of the DVD rack once every four years to have a little laugh, enjoy Amy Adams’ acting, and smile about the sweetness that true love can bring to your life. Oh and watching the scene with the elderly couples at the dinner table makes me wonder and hope that I will have a marriage and love like theirs. Not a great movie, but why not? (2.5 of 5)


Click here to follow Entitled to Opinion on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment